Video content provides many advertising opportunities. A difference is made between linear and non-linear video advertising.
- Linear video ads (or in-stream video ads) are shown before, after, or in the middle of the video clip.
- Non-linear video ads (or overlays) are shown in parallel with the video fragment and are typically text or static images.
You can also choose to advertise outside the video player (for example, an autoplay video ad within a content article or a branded video player) and enhance the advertiser's visibility.
Please refer to Video advertising for a complete overview of video advertising formats.
If a publisher wishes to serve ads to video players, it needs to develop distinct video ad tags based on each video player's technology. The IAB created a standard for video advertising that allows for scalable delivery of ads to video players from different vendors: VAST.
VAST allows ad servers to use just one single ad response format, independent of the video player's technology. The video player needs to be able to request and parse XML documents. Thus, by using XML, VAST does for video ad serving what HTML does for browser-based ad serving.
Since the first release of VAST, online video technology did move forward and made the possibilities for online video advertising more sophisticated. VAST has been extended with extra features and functionality to support the onward movement. VAST 4.0 is the current standard.
Adhese fully supports VAST: we are compliant with VAST 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 and can help you adopt its guidelines.
How to add a video campaign?
To add a video campaign:
- Go to the Campaign overview. Click Campaigns in the left navigation menu of Adhese.
- Click the campaign for which you want to upload a video ad.
- Click the Creatives tab.
- Click the Add Advar button. A New creative screen opens for an Advar template where you specify the following details:
- Enter a name for the creative in the Name field.
- Click the Select a format link in the Format field. Choose a video format, such as a pre-roll, from the list in the List of formats modal window.
- In the Template field, click the Add advar template link and select the Advar template that accompanies the specified format.
- Enter the URL of the ad's landing page in the URL field.
- (Optional) Insert the third-party tracking URL in the Tracking URL field.
- Upload the video file. Adhese supports the .mp4 and .flv extension and automatically recognises the duration of the video file.
- Click the Save button.
If your video ad does not display the video content and only plays the sound, please check your video file's encoding. The video file must be encoded with the right codec. Your video file should be encoded with H.264. If this is not the case, it must be re-encoded using H.264.
Tracking video ads
Next to the tracking of the number of click-throughs, VAST tracks several events that are related to the playback of the video ad and/or that are initiated by the viewer:
- Time progress tracking events, for example, mid-point, video ad completion, first and third quartile;
- Viewer initiated events:
- The viewer mutes or unmutes the sound of the video.
- The viewer pauses the playback of the video.
- The viewer switches the player to its full-screen mode.
- The viewer skips the playback of the ad creative.
- The viewer clicks a button to close a non-linear ad creative within the video player.
For a complete overview of the VAST implementation details and its tracking features, refer to http://www.iab.com/guidelines/digital-video-ad-serving-template-vast-4-0/.